The past couple of weeks have been very busy! Speaking of that, I’m amending my original plan for this blog somewhat—I think I’ll try to update once every 2 weeks . . . once a week is just too much J
But I’ve been so happy to be back in Madagascar this last week. I was able to spend a few days in Tana, seeing other missionaries, my Malagasy church family, and several friends. Now I’m settling into life in Tulear. It’s hot and sunny every day here, which I love, and I’m having fun re-starting all my relationships. This coming week I’ll be working hard on preparations for our first story-crafting workshop (the first 2 weeks of March). Pray that God will bring the details together exactly as He wants them.
There have been many days the last month or so that I’ve felt overwhelmed by this project . . . and each time God is meeting me with encouragement and the reality of His presence. This week, a few verses in Isaiah became incredibly meaningful: Isaiah 55:8-13
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return to it without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD’s renown, for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”
The truth is, though my feelings of inadequacy and anxiety are real and understandable, they are irrelevant. I know for sure that God has called me here for now. And His Word is His, not mine. His Word is, and has been, His way of revealing Himself to the world from the beginning! He is the One who will accomplish this revelation, in His time and His way, to the people of Madagascar who still haven’t heard. He will provide seed to the sowers, the believers who want to share, and bread to the eaters, those who have never tasted of Him. I am so blessed to be even the tiniest part of that, and all I have to do is stick with Him, and be amazed as He accomplishes His plan! And when He does it, it will bring glory to Him, always pointing to His power and strong hand forever! Pray that He would do as He likes to make His name known!
And, just real quick, a “yes, I live in Madagascar” experience. It’s very hot here in Tulear, and with no indoor AC, it’s usually at least in the 80s in the house at night. Last night I woke up around 4, thinking that I felt really hot. I could still hear my fan, though, so I knew that the electricity wasn’t out, and in my still half-asleep stupor I concluded that it must be the hottest night I’ve been here so far. A little bit more awake, I noticed that though I could hear the fan, I couldn’t see it at the end of the bed . . . that was strange. I sat up and looked and discovered that it had fallen over, and was now in 3 pieces on the floor, but still running! Impressive! And then another discovery: I saw a large (very large) brown lump beside the broken fan. Turning on the light confirmed my fears—it was the biggest cockroach I had ever seen! Obviously, it had knocked over my fan—that’s my theory anyway.
In general, all my exciting encounters with cockroaches happen at night, so I was prepared. I grabbed my big shoe and my spray, prepared to do whatever was necessary. With the first whack, I heard an eerie, angry hiss! This was not just an outrageously large cockroach; it was one of the famous hissing cockroaches of Madagascar! I steeled myself for a more intense battle . . . and was actually a little disappointed. Possibly this one was already injured by the collapse of the fan? It moved so slowly; certainly not the highly effective scurrying of normal cockroaches. And it thought it could hide from me under one of those broken fan pieces . . . one good spray and whack, and it seemed incapacitated. But it was the most disgusting smooshed bug I’ve ever seen . . . not sure what came out, but it was gross!! I flushed it, but now I’m paranoid . . . maybe it will be insulted by my low opinion of its abilities, and one vulnerable, unexpected day I’ll hear that eerie, angry hiss issuing from my toilet bowl . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment