Sunday, July 8, 2012

Feels like summer!


While in the US temperatures are steadily rising, Toliara is starting to cool down. I can often be found wearing jeans and a jacket, and now sleep under a blanket at night. Though the actual temperature is probably only dropping to about the mid-60s in the middle of the night, I’m calling it “cold”—after months of intense heat, it feels wonderful, albeit the chill-bumps I frequently have.

But in spite of being cold, this season still feels like summer! I’ve been blessed with several special houseguests, as well as some exciting activities lately! My sister arrived about two weeks ago, and I’ve been enjoying sharing my life with her here in Tulear. She’s been able to connect with a few of the girls she got to know last summer, as well as spend time with all our new missionaries here in Toliara.


Also Tahina, one of my close friends from Tana, visited for two weeks. Tahina worked with me in the English clubs at the university in Tana, and became a good friend during my first two years here. She had never been to Toliara before, and enjoyed seeing what God is doing among believers speaking the dialects of the southwest!


Our house has been maxed out lately, with these visitors and another friend’s weekend trip down. The day after Tahina left, Ashley, a new worker here with our organization, arrived! We’ve been experimenting different recipes, hosting game nights, and just enjoying being together!

Also this past month, we had birthday parties for Titus and Eli, two of the kids in one of our mission families. For Eli’s party, we all dressed as pirates and did a scavenger hunt—we had a blast, and I think Eli did too :)

We also visited a local cave outside of Toliara, where you can swim, and made a team beach trip to Ifaty, a beach about an hour from Toliara. Both days, we had a lot of fun just relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the place God has called us to.

The times of relaxation are a blessing, as our team will be welcoming two new families later this month! Also, just before Molly and Hannah return home, we’ll make another trip to the forest, so expect updates from that!  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, we also have real summer! :) I want some cooler weather. But I guess, that Your summer is much more hot than Polish or American.

    ReplyDelete