Monday, November 28, 2011

Partners and Pumpkin Pie

Some of you may remember that at one time, I promised to update this blog once a week . . . and then once every two weeks . . . I’m a very unfaithful blogger. I think one problem is that when it comes to blogging, I’m sort of like Elizabeth Bennet, from Pride and Prejudice, “unwilling to speak unless I can say something that will amaze the whole room”. I don’t want to blog unless I have some earth-shattering revelation to impart. :) Well, no earth-shattering revelations today. Just some random thoughts about partners in the Gospel and pumpkin pie . . .


I’ve realized this last week how richly blessed I am in partners in the Gospel here. There is one Malagasy couple, and a few youth girls and guys from our churches here who I work with often . . . and they amaze me! The couple are self-sacrificing pioneers, with a truly God-given call and wisdom for the people group they work with. The youth are servant-hearted, truly supporting me in spite of my inadequate use of their language, and limited understanding of their culture. Over the last year, as I’ve gotten to know these people, I can see tangibly how our actual understanding of each other’s speech has increased—we understand one another better linguistically. At the same time, it seems there’s been a deeper heart-knitting, so that we really see how to work alongside one another . . . only God could form these partnerships!


There are also times when people in the US, friends and prayer-partners, speak truths into my questions and situations here that enlighten and direct. If I ever think I am alone in this, He quickly reminds me that He is always at work, and that He uses everyone in unfathomably interconnected ways. Some of you in the States have been the source of real fruit for the Gospel here through your words of encouragement and advice.



Also this week, I’ve been reminded of how blessed I am with my fellow IMB missionaries here in Tulear. God has granted exponential growth to our team in the last year . . . my supervisors were here alone for about two and a half years, and now there are three singles here with them, two families studying language, and some more in the “pipeline” to come . . . it’s crazy! But now that we’re all getting to know each other as a team, it’s amazing to see how God has orchestrated and called the perfect people. He has given us all unique gifts, as well as individual hearts for the peoples of the southwest, and yet He is knitting us together to accomplish His plans here. I’m excited to be a part of it!



We had a team retreat last weekend with some of us, and then were able to celebrate Thanksgiving together with a smaller group . . . still waiting for when the whole southwest team will be all together :) But I really believe that He is making us a family here, and since we’re all far from our families, that is a precious gift.



And a final note about the pumpkin pie, or rather pumpkin cheesecake—it’s amazing! Jodie (the wife in my supervising couple) and I made this for Thanksgiving. The cheesecake was actually a little picture of teamwork. Jodie is a great cook, very laid-back and knowledgeable, while I always cook with the threat of inevitable, impending doom over my head . . . but the cheesecake turned out well because we worked together :) So may He continue to use the diverse Body of Christ all around the world to cover each other’s weaknesses, using one to fill where the other is lacking, Himself the ultimate fullness that fills and covers us all, so that we can all see the fulfillment of His glorious plan!


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic quote of Miss Bennett's, my dear. I also got a chuckle out of "I always cook with the threat of inevitable, impending doom over my head." Ha ha ha! You've always made us yummy meals when we stayed with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete