Friday, December 2, 2011

Lord, please make me a learner!


So, I'm doing a little back-tracking, so I can share some things that have been happening these last few months that I haven't been blogging :) 

As a student in high school and college, I had the opportunity to go on several international mission trips. This last September, I got to be a part of hosting our first volunteer team from the US to Tulear!




Our volunteer team was amazing. They had been meeting, praying, reading, studying, discussing, planning, and preparing for months. They were a uniquely gifted team: a law expert; an amazing cook and nutrition expert; agricultural, medical and community development specialists; a seminary student and gifted teacher; and a leader with Godly wisdom and a servant’s heart. We put them all to work! Half the team went into the rural areas south of Tulear, and did medical and agricultural consulting as they shared the Gospel. This part of the team was joined by two missionaries from the rainforest in central Madagascar, who specialize in sharing the Gospel while addressing medical questions and needs. The other half of the team stayed in Tulear and hosted a youth event at our church. When we were back together, we did a series of seminars at the local university, which were attended by over 500 students!

 



Though it seems nothing in ministry here goes as you expect it to, each event was an opportunity to build relationships, speak truth into people’s lives, and share how God has changed our lives through His Son, Jesus Christ.




One of the best things about this team: they were learners. They asked many questions, and observed with open minds and listening hearts. They held their ideas and opinions loosely; they sought to learn, and not just to teach; to listen, and not just to speak. They were intensely committed to doing what would benefit our ministry and bless the Malagasy people, no matter what.


In our missions training, we learned to enter a culture as “learners”. This is not always easy for Americans, or for anyone; it is not always easy for me. I think for me, the language barrier has sometimes been a God-given reminder to listen and learn first. Sometimes, I have literally been unable to say what I might want to . . . so I am forced to think, to observe and listen first. The reality is, cultural gaps are much wider than we might think at first. We talk about culture shock, and it’s true that cultural differences often seem overwhelming at first. Then, as you grow familiar with your host culture, you find that what you saw as totally foreign before is actually recognizable, comparable to something in your own culture. But the truth is, the more you get to know a culture, the more you realize: yes, there are human realities that supersede culture, but yes, those human realities are expressed in very diverse ways throughout the world. If we fail to recognize this diversity, and to tread slowly, question regularly, think carefully, and speak gently, there will be misunderstanding and sometimes, real damage that lasts for centuries.

I have much to learn in this area. We have much to learn from our brothers and sisters around the world. Our volunteer team, because they were intentional learners, showed me Tulear and southwest Madagascar through new eyes. They taught me so much about the people I’m working with, and about how to do ministry among them. Pray with me that God will give me listening ears, open eyes, a heart attuned to His activity, a very thoughtful, humble mouth, and a learner’s spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment