But, as Sunday after Sunday passed, and the girls sang all my favorite songs, and I wasn’t singing with them, I just knew, finally, that I had to join. So on the first Sunday of 2012, I did! Yay!
This choir doesn’t really use sheet music, or often, any music at all! It’s funny to me how I keep getting into more and more complicated situations with this choir thing. I’m really not a singer . . . I just like to sing. But in Tana, I had to sight-read, not notes, but the letters d, r, m—corresponding to the do-re-mi-etc. notes, like Frauline Maria teaches the Van Trapp children in The Sound of Music. Now, the Toliara choir doesn’t use any written music at all, so I have to memorize all words and tunes and parts (usually overnight, as they already know all their songs by heart, and can run through them once at “practice” the night before). And then, this choir is frequently unaccompanied by instruments . . . or sometimes just a drum. They have such beautiful voices that it still sounds amazing . . . I’m just trying to keep up :)
But I’m learning. The singing is actually helping my dialect-learning, and the girls in the choir are amazing! Maybe by the end of this year I’ll even have a little bit of rhythm :)
No comments:
Post a Comment