Thursday, April 19, 2012

Friends and Fun in South Africa

Madagascar is an island, and, well, sometimes we get island fever J This last month, I had a really nice break. Our team was able to spend about 2½ weeks in South Africa. We had a conference together with lots of other workers with our organization—it was such a blessing to see friends and to catch up with people! I stayed with some lovely girls, and caught up with a few more, as well as some families I've known for the last several years—it’s just amazing to hear what God is doing in friends’ lives in other parts of Africa.


A couple of highlights of the trip: I went to Durban with some friends, and had the chance to climb what was advertized as the tallest indoor climbing wall in the world! It was so much fun! I’m definitely an amateur climber only, but really enjoyed the experience. Tim, one of the men with us, belayed me; it was nice having someone I knew holding the rope!



We went to a tiny Sea World in Durban, and I discovered that my childhood dream of being a worker at Sea World and swimming with dolphins is not yet dead :) Still a dream though—no chance to swim with them on this trip. :)


Also, Phantom of the Opera was on at one of the live theaters in Johannesburg, so a group of us went to see it. It’s one of my favorite musicals, so I was so excited to be able to see it overseas.


We also got to see the Hunger Games. Jodie and I read the books last year, and were really disappointed when we discovered it was coming out in South Africa a couple of days after we left. But then we found a sneak preview of some kind, and got to see the film the night before we left!
  
I was also blessed to be able to hear preaching in English, and worship in English on this trip. I love Malagasy songs so much, but there is also something special and different about worshipping in your own language.

I’m really thankful for this time away—I was refreshed and encouraged! But also, I am SOO glad to be back! My housemate welcomed me back with this banner -- it's nice to be home :) And I am so excited about the months ahead here in Tulear!


No comments:

Post a Comment