Saturday, May 5, 2012

Update: More Baby Chicks!

So, last month I wrote about our first batch of baby chickens. While I was in South Africa, another batch hatched, and so now there are so many chickens running around my yard!


We’ve learned a few things. First, mice like baby chickens (gross, I know!) We’re trying to deal with that problem . . . it’s disconcerting to have my guard tell me every morning that another baby chicken has been snatched by rats!


Also, my sweet guard was feeding them three times a day, and we were practically going broke. I went down to this little store in a hut on the side of the road that apparently specializes in animal feed . . . and learned a lot in a few short minutes about chickens! I quickly copied down their helpful chart, which illustrates how many kilograms of feed a chick should have during each week of its young life. I also bought 10 kilos of feed . . . it looked a lot like dirt with some corn mixed in, but I’m hoping for the best.


Expect more updates and pictures as our little chicken family grows . . .

1 comment: