I was awed on this trip by the story-crafting group’s
progress. The Holy Spirit is truly a Great Teacher! We arrived on a Saturday
evening, and so on Sunday worshipped at the church there. The pastor, who
doesn’t read, told the story of the prodigal son with excitement and emotion in
his dialect . . . though we have never worked on crafting this story. And later
that afternoon, we tagged along as the believers visited multiple families in
the village, sharing stories during each visit. Many of the stories were ones
we’ve worked on together, and I was amazed to see those who had struggled with
the stories when we learned them now able to tell them with ease. Some stories
were new, too; so they’ve clearly crafted their own stories for use in
evangelism!
My goal with my job, basically, is to see believers be able
to take Biblical stories, put them in their dialects, and share them naturally.
And this is exactly what they are doing! I’m watching God work in them what I
hoped I could help with—He certainly doesn’t need my help :) I haven’t even seen
this group in six months!
I know that from the beginning, even before the start of
Pastor Jonoro’s relationship with this village, way before I ever had the
chance to visit, God has been working, slowly but surely winning the hearts of
these people and filling them with His stories! What a joy to look up and find
God doing more strongly and deeply and truly what I hoped might happen—His plan
is truly so much bigger and greater! I came with a goal; but God was way ahead
of me, and now I’m just following along, learning as I go, and being amazed
with both His power and activity, and the obedience and example of His people
in the forest.
This first time I went to the deep forest, it was a hot, dry
time, and a sort of off-season in terms of crops . . . the physical hunger and
need were crushing. Now it is harvest time! Plump, yellow corn husks surround
people’s homes, and church members gifted us with pumpkins, peanuts, and rice.
People look healthier, the plenty of the harvest lifting some measure of care
from their faces.
And the harvest of His Word is equally apparent! I’m
reminded of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 3:6-7: “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it
grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but
only God, who makes things grow.” I know that God is always working, and
has been accomplishing His plan for this village even before anyone lived
there! I am so blessed to hear Pastor Jonoro’s stories, and those of the others
who have poured their lives into this village, to see how God has continued to
work, accomplishing His plan. I was touched by each believer’s testimony of how
God saved them, and people in their family, from sin and Satan and emptiness
and fear. I’m so thankful that I’ve been given the privilege to teach stories
from His Word in this village—but I’m not the first, nor will I be the last.
Really, none of us is anything, but “only God, who makes things grow.” What a
blessing to be a witness of His beautiful harvest!
Tessa, thank you for sharing this. It blessed me deeply this morning! Bill
ReplyDeletesweet answers to prayers from cleveland ohio years ago...glory to God for what He has done...and Jesus, bless Jo and family for their labor and sacrifice.
ReplyDeletenow we keep asking for clean water for them...