The deep forest is a special place. I don’t really know how
to describe it, except to say that I am deeply moved each time I visit.
Problems are very real there, and can be overwhelming at times. But what is
even more noticeable, tangible even, is the active, life-changing Presence of
Christ. The believers in the forest have truly encountered Jesus, and He has
changed everything. Their problems have become testimonies, their marriages
have been healed, their minds have been set free from demonic influences, their
children have become Biblical storytellers, their church has become a new
family, and the crushing weight of physical scarcity has become an abundance of
hope.
This trip especially, I had the opportunity to see these
transformations more clearly than before. One of the girls who went with us is
a writer for our organization, and through her interviews I was able to hear
testimony after testimony of God’s faithfulness in the lives of believers—I
learned much I didn’t know before about the story of the village and the
journeys of individuals and families.
Hearing everyone’s stories gave me a deeper sense of
closeness with them than I’ve had before, though I did feel very much at home
in this village the very first time I visited. Also, with the colder weather
(low 80’s :), the family who hosted us (in the picture above) built a fire each night, and we shared
the warmth of the fire and fellowship. One night, one of the believers came with
his guitar. He is a gifted musician, and now uses his
talent for worshipping God. He and Noelle played song after song, some of which they even
wrote themselves. Worshipping with them and our host family around the fire was
a precious, precious memory.
As always, I’m thankful for and looking forward to the next
trip (hopefully sooner than six months!) And next time, I should be able to
take my sister with me! I can’t wait for her to meet everyone and them to meet
her!
Let me know whenever she writes those stories! I would love to hear them! :)
ReplyDelete