Monday, September 3, 2012

Contagious Confidence


A few weeks ago, I was talking with Bebe Melina, an older woman in one of my crafting groups. Bebe has not been a believer very long, and she doesn’t read. She is incredibly eager to learn stories though, and retells them to small groups all over Tulear! When we first met, I had a lot of trouble understanding her in her dialect, and she had a lot of trouble understanding me too :) Now I think we’ve reached a good mutual understanding, and it seems that every time I visit her, I learn something special! She is a very wise woman, with a dedication to using all the time she has to sharing His story with others!

The last time we talked, she was describing some new work her church is doing. She talked about some of the sins and struggles of the people in the area, and how they have grown. What struck me was her manner in talking about this—she had no frustration or fear in talking about their sin, and she seemed completely confident that they would eventually come to faith and transformation in Christ.

This attitude was amazing to me! Even though I know the truth of the Gospel, and believe that He is at work all around me, sometimes I forget this. I allow frustration and fear to hinder my prayers or joy in my work and relationships here. I continually find myself acting as if my work were dependent on me, and not on Him. Pray with me that I might have eyes of faith like Bebe, to pursue His work tirelessly with full confidence in what He is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment