Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Holidays: Hot, Cold, Fun-Filled and Special


In the last few years, I’ve realized that not everyone in the world associates Christmas with cold weather, scarves, hot chocolate, and snow . . . but for me, these aspects are still inextricably linked with the overall feeling of Christmastime. So, as Christmas approached in Madagascar, the usual dilemma presented itself—with temperatures climbing into the hundreds, and my wardrobe consisting purely of tank tops and flip-flops, “It just doesn’t feel like Christmas!”

But it is Christmas, and starting with Thanksgiving, the Lord has blessed me this year with some precious times with friends, family, and loved ones. The six short-term personnel on our team celebrated Thanksgiving together this year, complete with turkey, dressing, biscuits and Spanikopita! We also took a beach day trip—might as well celebrate the heat! J



Then, I was able to visit my family for a few days in Paris—I am so thankful to have been able to see them at Christmas! And, I got my fill of cold weather for the year! I spent the whole trip bundled up in my sister’s clothes J On our last night there, we went to a Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame. Though unlike any Christmas Eve service I’ve ever been to, being in the beautiful cathedral and listening to worship music in French and Latin, I was struck with the ageless message of grace that Jesus’ birth brought to all of us. He is indeed the Savior of the World . . . and His death and resurrection are what makes our individual relationships with Him possible! How truly glorious is the salvation He wrought!

But my holidays aren’t over! This morning I got to have Christmas breakfast with my teammates here in Tulear, and enjoy a Christmas movie! And depending on what’s been going on at my Malagasy church while I’ve been gone (they’ve been working on building a new building!), there may be a few more Christmas, or at least New Years, celebrations yet to come! I feel so blessed to be able to spend time with so many people I love this season, and to remember that it is only His love and grace that makes all these relationships possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment