I love to plan. I have spent so much of my life planning the
future, from big picture ideas to minute details. But the reality is, next to
none of my plans have worked out the way I expected them to. You’d think that I
would give up on making plans . . .
I also have this deep-rooted, persistent belief that each
season of my life is some kind of test, with specific tasks that must be
accomplished in exactly the right way in order to move on to the next phase. I,
though often subconsciously, picture God as a very strict, possibly indifferent
teacher, waiting to see how I will fare and ready to dole out punishment or
reward based on my behavior.
Even writing this I’m appalled. I know these ideas aren’t
true—I know that He is active in my life, and that His activity is
characterized by grace and love and joy. I once heard Beth Moore say that “He
is not looking for perfection; He’s looking for faith”, and I believe this. And
I also know that I really have no control over how the various plans I have
work out.
And yet, I continue to plan in a desperate crusade for
control, and to try to walk in perfection (though not necessarily true
righteousness), as if this will somehow ensure that my future is as I’ve
planned it.
And all the while there is so much more. I’ve been reading
C. S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, and was
recently knocked to my knees by a few simple lines in one part of the story. A
female character is musing on some newfound revelations about what it means to
walk with her Creator. She describes an experience that reflects one of the main reasons that my planning
can negatively affect my spiritual life. She talks about going looking for one thing and finding another, and, instead of welcoming what one
finds, thinking only of what one has not found. In this way, one “turn[s] the
good which was given it into no good” at all.
How often do I do this? How often have I allowed the pain of
surrendering my own plans to blind me to the true good that He’s given me
instead?
The character continues with a startling conclusion: she
says, “I thought we went along paths—but it seems there are no paths. The going
itself is the path.”
“The going itself is the path.” These words have lingered in
my mind the last week or so . . .
what a freeing thought! This perfect plan—which I’m seeking out,
preparing for, trying to force into existence through my flawless execution of
it—doesn’t exist! At least not in any realm where I can access or control it.
Possibly it exists in the mind of God—I don’t presume to understand His “perfect”
or His “permissive” will, whatever these mean . . . but all that is really
irrelevant isn’t it? If I’m truly walking with Him, engaged in intentional
relationship with Him through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit, then that
daily, moment-by-moment going with Him is all that matters. I can fix my eyes
fully on Him, and let Him worry about planning and accomplishing whatever He wants!
And I can be quite sure that the very best that I can come up with is nothing
to what He is already doing! May I not be found staring into the path that isn’t when my eyes could be filled with
Him who is All in All!
“Righteousness will go before Him, and will make His
footsteps into a way.” Ps. 85:13
enjoyed this today - thank you for sharing and oh so true...and oh - we are totally alike :) I love you!
ReplyDelete